#38 Women's Tennis Downs Fresno State 6-1
Wave remain undefeated at home in 2014 with today's triumph over Fresno State.
March 8, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. – The #38-ranked Pepperdine women’s tennis team got back on track Saturday afternoon, scoring a 6-1 victory over Fresno State at home.
After the Waves picked up the point in doubles, the teams split the opening two singles matches. The Waves then took the next two matches in straight sets to take control and finished by winning the last four matches overall.
It was an early split for the teams to start the double contest as well, with Pepperdine’s Matea Cutura (Zagreb, Croatia/Gimnazija Birotehnika/DePaul) and Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) defeating Rana Sherif Ahmed and Anne Susdorf 8-4, followed by the Bulldog’s Sophie Watts and Anneka Watts downing Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) and Yuki Chiang (Ojai, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) 8-5. Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) and Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai (Bangkok, Thailand/IMG Academy) were able to seal the doubles victory though with an 8-6 win over Aishwarya Agrawal and Sofya Malysheva.
Capannolo defeated the Bulldog’s Aishwarya Agrawal 6-1, 6-1, in the opening singles match followed by a 7-6, 6-0 win for Sofya Malysheva over Pepperdine’s Christine Maddox (Santa Monica, Calif./Santa Monica HS). Straight set wins by Chiang (6-3, 6-2) and #120 Runglerdkriangkrai (6-2, 7-6) would give the competition to the Waves, though. Runglerdkriangkrai took the final point with a 7-3 win in the second set tiebreaker.
Cutura (4-6, 6-1, 6-2) and #23 Guillermo (6-1, 5-7, 6-3) each won their matches to finish out the day.
The win moves the Waves to 5-4 on the year and a perfect 4-0 at home. Fresno State falls to 4-8. Pepperdine will be back in action next Saturday, March 15 at Long Beach State.
Fresno State vs Pepperdine
Mar 08, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#38 Pepperdine 6, Fresno State 1
1. #23 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Sophie Watts (FS) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
2. Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed (FS) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Yuki Chiang (PEP) def. Anneka Watts (FS) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sofya Malysheva (FS) def. Christine Maddox (PEP) 7-6, 6-0
6. #120 A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Anne Susdorf (FS) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal/Sofya Malysheva (FS) 8-6
2. Sophie Watts/Anneka Watts (FS) def. Michaela Capannolo/Yuki Chiang (PEP) 8-5
3. Matea Cutura/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Rana Sherif Ahmed/Anne Susdorf (FS) 8-4
Fresno State 4-8
Pepperdine 5-4; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,4,6,2,1)