Waves Fall Short Against Top-Seeded Yale at Blue Gray National Tennis Classic
Pepperdine to play Michigan State or Virginia in tomorrow's consolation match.
March 15, 2013
MALIBU, Calif. – The Pepperdine women’s tennis team led early but could not hold on for the victory and fell 4-3 to #34-ranked and top-seeded Yale in the opening round of the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic.
The momentum rolled in the Waves’ favor to open the dual and Pepperdine won two of the three doubles matches to take the point.
Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) and Michaela Capannolo (Hawthorn, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) put away an 8-3 decision vs. Madeleine Hamilton and Amber Hamilton to put the Waves on the board.
Although the Bulldogs earned the win from the No. 3 spot in the lineup, the reigning West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the Month of Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) secured the point with a 9-8 victory against Elizabeth Epstein and Annie Sullivan.
The Bulldogs stormed back in singles, however, and won four of the six matches to take the dual.
Guillermo gave the Waves a 2-0 lead, dispatching Hamilton in straight sets 6-4, 6-4.
Issara also captured a point for Pepperdine and defeated #99-ranked Epstein 6-4, 7-5.
Yale (9-1) tallied a pair of points with straight-set wins on courts five and six.
Capannolo rebounded from a loss in the first set to win 6-4 in the second and force a third and final set vs. Hanna Yu. The comeback was halted there, however, and Yu prevailed 6-2 in the deciding frame.
Granillo suffered a similar fate, winning the first set before Sullivan found her stride and took the second set convincingly. The third set, which decided the overall dual, played out close but ultimately Sullivan emerged with a win in the tiebreaker to give the Bulldogs point No. 4.
The Waves (0-9) continue action at the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic tomorrow at the Lagoon Park Tennis Center. Pepperdine faces either Michigan State or #47 Virginia in consolation play.
Pepperdine vs Yale
Mar 15, 2013 at Montgomery, Ala.
Blue Gray National Tennis Classic
(Lagoon Park Tennis Center)
#34 Yale 4, Pepperdine 3
1. #54 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Madeleine Hamilton (YALE) 6-4, 6-4
2. #56 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. #99 Elizabeth Epstein (YALE) 6-4, 7-5
3. Annie Sullivan (YALE) def. #110 Ale Granillo (PEP) 3-6, 6-0, 7-6
4. Hanna Yu (YALE) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
5. Amber Li (YALE) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 7-5, 6-2
6. Courtney Amos (YALE) def. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 6-4, 6-3
1. #13 Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Elizabeth Epstein/Annie Sullivan (YALE) 9-8
2. Michaela Capannolo/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Madeleine Hamilton/Amber Li (YALE) 8-3
3. Courtney Amos/Hanna Yu (YALE) def. Megan Moore/Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 8-2
Yale 9-1; National ranking #34