Waves Stumble at San Diego State, 5-2
Khunpak Issara extends singles win streak to seven today vs. the Aztecs.
March 20, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – Despite winning the doubles point, the Pepperdine women’s tennis team could not overcome #57 San Diego State at the Aztec Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon and bowed out 5-2.
The dual opened with a closely contested doubles point that came down to a tiebreaker in the final match to finish.
Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS), ranked #13 in the ITA doubles rankings, gave the Waves the opening edge with a convincing 8-3 win over Laura Antonana and Michela Casanova.
SDSU battled back however, and won on court three to tie things up.
Michaela Capannolo (Hawthorn, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) and Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) came through in the clutch for the Waves, defeating Julia Wais and Kristin Buth 7-4 in the tiebreaker to clinch the doubles point.
Unfortunately, the momentum did not carry over into singles for Pepperdine and San Diego State secured the dual with wins on five of the six courts.
Issara was the sole victor for the Waves, winning her seventh straight with the triumph over Alicia Aguilar.
Granillo forced Antonana to a third set but could not hold on for the win. Danielle Feneridis (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Girls HS) got the upper hand on Casanova, 6-4 in the first, but the Aztec rebounded with 6-1 wins in both the second and third frames.
The Waves host three matches next week, beginning on Tuesday, March 26 (1:30 p.m.) vs. Sacramento State. West Coast Conference action begins against San Francisco on Friday, March 29 (1:30 p.m.) followed by Santa Clara on Saturday, March 30 (11 a.m.).
Pepperdine vs San Diego State
Mar 20, 2013 at San Diego, Calif.
(Aztec Tennis Center)
San Diego State 5, Pepperdine 2
1. Julia Wais (SDSU) def. #54 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-4, 6-1
2. #56 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Alicia Aguilar (SDSU) 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 1-1, retired
3. Laura Antonana (SDSU) def. #110 Ale Granillo (PEP) 6-0, 3-6, 6-1
4. Kristin Buth (SDSU) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-3, 6-1
5. Tami Nguyen (SDSU) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-0, 6-1
6. Michela Casanova (SDSU) def. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
1. #13 Lorraine Guillermo/Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Laura Antonana/Michela Casanova (SDSU) 8-3
2. Michaela Capannolo/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Julia Wais/Kristin Buth (SDSU) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Alicia Aguilar/Isabelle Hoorn (SDSU) def. Tara Panu/Megan Moore (PEP) 8-4
San Diego State 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (5,1,3,4,2,6)