Waves Rout Loyola Marymount in West Coast Conference Opener
Pepperdine opens week with 6-1 win over LMU. Waves now will travel to Fresno State for a Saturday dual match.
March 22, 2012
MALIBU, Calif. – The #45-ranked Pepperdine women’s tennis team defeated Loyola Marymount, 6-1, in the West Coast Conference opener on Thursday afternoon. The Waves now boast an all-time record of 32-2 versus the Lions, including a 20-0 mark when playing at home.
Although LMU (3-10, 0-1 WCC) struck first in doubles and won on court three, the Waves (6-6, 1-0 WCC) posted convincing victories in the top two spots of the lineup.
Ali Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian HS/UCLA) and Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) controlled the pace of the match early on and downed Ashley Anderson and Tory Parravi 8-1.
After jumping to a 4-1 lead, Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) were challenged by Elisaveta Pronkova and Reka Rohonyi, who knotted the score at four.
Issara and Guillermo stepped up their play, and took the next four games to put the match away 8-4 and clinch the doubles point for the Waves heading into singles.
The Waves did not let up, winning five of the six matches in straight sets. Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) put away a 6-0, 6-2 triumph over Claudia Razzeto, before Walters downed Pronkova 6-1, 6-2.
Colffer kept the momentum going with 6-2, 6-3 win on court four. In the No. 1 match, Issara cruised through the first set 6-0, before April Bisaharat put up a formidable challenge in set two. Up 6-5, Issara was able break the serve of Bisaharat to take the frame 7-5 and put Pepperdine up 6-0.
The Lions were able to avoid the sweep with a narrow victory from the No. 6 match. Rohonyi edged Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) in the first frame, 7-6, before Moore came back with a 6-4 victory in set two. In the 10-point tiebreaker, Rohonyi earned a late break to win 10-8 and claim the match.
The Waves hit the road for a dual at #55 Fresno State on Saturday, March 24 to wrap up the week.
#45 Pepperdine 6, Loyola Marymount University 1
1. #94 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. April Bisaharat (LMU) 6-0, 7-5
2. #123 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Claudia Razzeto (LMU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Tory Parravi (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ali Walters (PEP) def. Elisaveta Pronkova (LMU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 7-6, 4-6, 10-8
1. #57 Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Elisaveta Pronkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 8-4
2. Ali Walters/Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Ashley Anderson/Tory Parravi (LMU) 8-1
3. April Bisaharat/Claudia Razzeto (LMU) def. Ale Granillo/Megan Moore (PEP) 8-2
Loyola Marymount University 3-10
Pepperdine 6-6; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,5,3,4,1,6)