Women's Tennis Rallies to Defeat Fresno State, 4-3
Waves grind out 4-3 win on the road at Fresno State.
March 24, 2012
FRESNO, Calif. – After a standout performance in doubles, the Pepperdine women’s tennis team rallied in singles to defeat Fresno State, 4-3. Khunpak Issara, Lorraine Guillermo and Ali Walters all earned singles victories to give the Waves the boost.
Pepperdine, ranked #45, was dominant in doubles play, allowing just three games total in the three matches. Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) and Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) opened the afternoon with an 8-1 win over Aishwarya Agrawal and Laura Pola.
Ali Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian HS/UCLA) and Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) shut out Melissa McQueen and Bianca Modoc, before Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Guillermo topped Marianne Jodoin and Olga Kirpicheva, 8-2.
The Bulldogs (7-6) challenged the Waves (7-6) in singles, however, forcing three matches to go three sets.
Issara downed #50-ranked Jodoin, 6-2, 6-2 before Moore earned a 6-1, 6-2 triumph versus Modoc from the No. 5 spot in the lineup. Issara’s win over Jodoin was the junior’s second win versus a ranked player this season.
With Pepperdine up 3-0, Guillermo clinched the fourth point with a 6-3, 7-6 win over Kirpicheva.
Although Fresno State was able to win the remaining three matches, the Waves were out of reach and held on for the 4-3 win.
Pepperdine remains on the road next week for dual versus West Coast Conference foes Santa Clara (March 30) and San Francisco (March 31).
#45 Pepperdine 4, #55 Fresno State 3
1. #94 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. #50 Marianne Jodoin (FS) 6-2, 6-2
2. Aishwarya Agrawal (FS) def. #123 Ale Granillo (PEP) 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Arianna Colffer (PEP) 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
5. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Bianca Modoc (FS) 6-1, 6-2
6. Tanya Murtagh (FS) def. Tara Panu (PEP) 6-3, 1-6, 6-2
1. Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Marianne Jodoin/Olga Kirpicheva (FS) 8-2
2. Ali Walters/Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Melissa McQueen/Bianca Modoc (FS) 8-0
3. Megan Moore/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Aishwarya Agrawal/Laura Pola (FS) 8-1
Pepperdine 7-6; National ranking #45
Fresno State 7-6; National ranking #55
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,5,3,4,6,2)