Waves Sweep Dons in West Coast Conference Opener
Pepperdine takes down USF, 7-0, to win second straight.
March 29, 2013
MALIBU, Calif. – The Pepperdine women’s tennis team won its second-consecutive match today with a 7-0 sweep versus San Francisco. It was the West Coast Conference preseason favorite’s first league match of the season.
The Waves, 4-10 overall, opened the week with a 6-1 triumph over Sacramento State on Tuesday at home. USF’s four-match win streak came to a halt as it drops to 10-6 overall and 1-3 in WCC matches.
Pepperdine opened the day on the right foot, sweeping the doubles point.
Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS), currently ranked #10 in the ITA doubles rankings, tallied their eighth-straight victory with an 8-2 triumph over Andrea Ka and Sofia Holmberg.
The momentum carried over into singles and the Waves won all six matches in straight sets.
Danielle Feneridis (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Girls HS) dominated in her match, disposing of Yurie Hashiguchi 6-0, 6-1.
Capannolo and Issara were equally as impressive as both gave up just three total games in their respective two-set wins.
Issara is now 12-2 in duals this season and has won the last nine-straight singles matches.
Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) continued with the trend and topped Marina Nikolic 6-3, 6-2.
Granillo and Guillermo also walked away victorious today. Granillo edged Milica Hadzi Tanovic 7-5, 7-6, while #40 Guillermo prevailed over #78 Ka 6-4, 7-6 in the top match.
Pepperdine looks to make it three in a row tomorrow, March 30 vs. Santa Clara. First serve between the Waves and Broncos is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
San Francisco vs Pepperdine
Mar 28, 2013 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
Pepperdine 7, San Francisco 0
1. #40 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. #78 Andrea Ka (USF) 6-4, 7-6
2. #58 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Sofia Holmberg (USF) 6-0, 6-3
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Milica Hadzi Tanovic (USF) 7-6, 7-5
4. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Marina Nikolic (USF) 6-3, 6-2
5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Brooke Irish (USF) 6-3, 6-0
6. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) def. Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) 6-0, 6-1
1. #10 Khunpak Issara/Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Andrea Ka/Sofia Holmberg (USF) 8-2
2. Ale Granillo/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Milica Hadzi Tanovic/Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) 8-5
3. Megan Moore/Tara Panu (PEP) vs. Brooke Irish/Marina Nikolic (USF) 6-7, unfinished
San Francisco 10-6, 1-3 WCC
Pepperdine 4-10, 1-0 WCC