Waves Take Over First Place in the WCC with Win Over BYU
Pepperdine successfully defends its home court, now 6-0 at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center this season.
March 29, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. - The #40-ranked Pepperdine women's tennis team took over first place in the West Coast Conference standings today with a 5-2 triumph over #51 BYU. The Waves issued the Cougars their first league loss of the season as they improve to 10-4 overall and 4-0 in the WCC. BYU drops to 8-7, including a 4-1 mark in conference matches.
The battle for the doubles point was fierce, and came down to just a single break of serve in the final match to finish.
The doubles point then laid reliant on the outcome of the No. 2 match, which featured a closely contested clash between Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) and Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) and Nicolette Tran and Savannah Ware.
In a match that saw nearly every game go to deuce, Granillo held serve to make it a 7-6 contest.
With the Cougars serving, Granillo and Capannolo took match point at 40-30. In the next rally, Granillo laced a shot which brushed the corner end line to take the match, and send the Wave into singles with the 1-0 lead.
Pepperdine set it in cruise control in singles, winning four of the six singles matches in straight sets to make it a 5-0 dual.
Runglerdkriangkrai made short work of Anderson, winning 6-2, 6-1.
Capannolo and Granillo also won in straight sets to clinch the dual at 4-0.
At No. 1, Guillermo continued her winning ways with a 6-3, 6-1 win against Jones.
Instead of playing it out, Chiang, still getting over the flu, and Cutura, battling through a few bumps and bruises of her own, opted to retire to give BYU its only two points of the day.
The Waves gear up for their final regular season road trip next weekend. Their Tour of the Pacific Northwest includes stops at Washington State (April 3), Gonzaga (April 4) and Pacific (April 5).
BYU vs Pepperdine
Mar 29, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#40 Pepperdine 5, #51 BYU 2
1. #25 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Mayci Jones (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Matea Cutura (PEP) 6-7, 3-2, retired
3. #96 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Nicolette Tran (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Toby Miclat (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Savannah Ware (BYU) def. Yuki Chiang (PEP) 6-4, 1-6, 2-1, retired
6. A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Mayci Jones/Toby Miclat (BYU) 8-5
2. Ale Granillo/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Nicolette Tran/Savannah Ware (BYU) 8-6
3. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon/Morgan Anderson (BYU) def. Matea Cutura/Yuki Chiang (PEP) 8-5
BYU 8-7, 4-1 WCC; National ranking #51
Pepperdine 10-4, 4-0 WCC; National ranking #40
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,4,3,1)