Pepperdine Shuts Out Loyola Marymount, Extends Lead in PCH Cup Standings
Waves improve to 29-2 all-time versus Loyola Marymount.
March 31, 2011
LOS ANGELES – Behind six singles wins and a pair of doubles victories, the #26 Pepperdine women’s tennis team shut out Loyola Marymount, 7-0. The Waves are 29-2 all-time versus the West Coast Conference rival.
Pepperdine improves to 9-6 overall and 3-0 in the WCC and earned another 1.5 points in the PCH Cup with the road win over the Lions (6-11, 1-3). Pepperdine currently leads the season-long, all-sport competition 10.0 to 6.0.
LMU opened the afternoon with a win in the top doubles match. It turned out to be the only “W” they would log, however, as the Waves went on to win the remaining two doubles matches and all six singles contests.
After Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) and Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/World Study Centre) topped Miya Jin and Shauna Morgan, it was up to Tara Panu (Los Altos Hills, Calif./The Harker School) and Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) on court three to secure the point.
The closely fought match ended with Colffer and Panu edging the Lion tandem by a score of 8-6.
In singles, Issara put another point on the board for the Waves after allowing just one game in her straight-set win over Elisaveta Pironkova. Colffer was the next to finish, winning her first set against April Bisharat before Bisharat was forced to retire.
Granillo mirrored Issara’s performance, giving up only a single game in her win from court two. Marie Zalameda (Los Angles, Calif./Beverly Hills HS) defeated Reka Rohony 6-3, 6-1, before Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) topped Morgan 6-2, 6-2.
Bhargava secured the sweep with a 6-4, 6-3 triumph over Jin.
The Waves continue life on the road with a Saturday afternoon match at Fresno State. Following the tangle with the Bulldogs, Pepperdine has just two more matches until they compete at the 2011 WCC Championships.
#26 Pepperdine 7, Loyola Marymount 0
1. Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. April Bisharat (LMU) 6-2, retired
2. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Melissa Valenzuela (LMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Miya Jin (LMU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Elisaveta Pironkova (LMU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Shauna Morgan (LMU) 6-2, 6-2
1. April Bisharat/Melissa Valenzuela (LMU) def. #34 Marie Zalameda/Anamika Bhargava (PEP) 8-2
2. Ale Granillo/Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Miya Jin/Shauna Morgan (LMU) 8-4
3. Tara Panu/Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Elisaveta Pironkova/Reka Rohonyi (LMU) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,1,2,4,6,3)