Women's Tennis Extends Streak with 6-1 Win vs. Santa Clara
Waves improve to 5-10 after winning third match of the week.
March 30, 2013
MALIBU, Calif. – The Pepperdine women’s tennis team won its third-straight with a 6-1 triumph over West Coast Conference foe Santa Clara on Saturday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. The Waves won the doubles point before claiming victory in five of the six singles contests.
After winning 8-5, Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) and Michaela Capannolo (Hawthorn, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) clinched the doubles point to give the Waves a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
Issara extended Pepperdine’s lead 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 over Kelly Lamble.
In the top match, the 2012 WCC Player of the Year – Le – took the first set vs. the 2012 WCC Freshman of the Year – Guillermo. Now a sophomore, Guillermo got back on track after the slow start and won 6-3, 6-3 in the second and third frames.
Granillo picked up a 6-3, 6-1 win over Alex Zaniewski, while Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) downed Chelby Cooke 7-6, 6-2.
From the No. 5 spot in the lineup, Capannolo won her third straight after logging a 6-3, 7-6 victory against Delphine Rouvillois.
The Waves look to make it four and five wins in a row next week when they play host to Gonzaga (April 5) and Portland (April 6).
Santa Clara vs Pepperdine
Mar 30, 2013 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
Pepperdine 6, Santa Clara 1
1. #40 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. #28 Katie Le (SCU) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. #58 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 6-3, 6-1
4. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Chelby Cooke (SCU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 2-6, 6-4, 12-10
1. #10 Lorraine Guillermo/Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) 8-1
2. Ale Granillo/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 8-5
3. Delphine Rouvillois/Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Megan Moore/Tara Panu (PEP) 8-5
Santa Clara 7-6, 3-1 WCC
Pepperdine 5-10, 2-0 WCC