Women's Tennis Wins Seventh Straight
Yuki Chiang earns her first collegiate shutout, winning 6-0, 6-0 today in Pullman.
April 3, 2014
PULLMAN, Wash. – The #29 Pepperdine women’s tennis team opened its three-match road swing with a solid 4-1 victory over #48 Washington State in the squad’s final nonconference dual of the regular season. The Waves have now won seven in a row as they improve to 11-4 in 2014.
Pepperdine battled some tough teams in the early portions of the season, and were just 4-4 at the end of February. The Waves then stormed through the month of March, going a perfect 6-0 in dual action. Three of Pepperdine’s four losses this year have come against teams currently ranked #15 or higher. Including the victory today, the Waves are 8-4 vs. ranked opponents.
Matea Cutura (Zagreb, Croatia/Gimnazija Birotehnika/DePaul) and Yuki Chiang (Ojai, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) got Pepperdine off and running, chalking an 8-2 decision over Charlotte Koning and Dajana Ognjenovic on court three.
Although Washington State evened the contest with a win at No. 2, the ever-reliant Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) and Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai (Bangkok, Thailand/IMG Academy) were able to clinch the point from their No. 1 spot in the lineup.
Guillermo and Runglerdkriangkrai, the reigning West Coast Conference Doubles Team of the week, improved to a perfect 6-0 in dual play with their 8-5 triumph versus Elizaveta Luzina and Lize Leenknecht.
The Cougars challenged the Waves in singles, but Pepperdine proved to be too strong.
Chiang earned her first complete shutout of her freshman year, downing Ognjenovic by a score of 6-0, 6-0.
Playing at No. 6, Runglerdkriangkrai lifted the Waves to a 3-0 lead with a straight-set victory. After edging Koning 7-4 in the first set tiebreaker, the Pepperdine freshman cruised to a 6-1 triumph in set two.
Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) put her team out of reach, tallying the Waves’ fourth point of the day with a 7-5, 6-1 win versus Olga Musilovich.
WSU avoided the sweep with a three-set win from the No. 1 spot in the lineup.
Pepperdine vs Washington State
Apr 03, 2014 at Pullman, Wash.
#29 Pepperdine 4, #48 Washington State 1
1. #106 Elizaveta Luzina (WSU) def. #25 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-4, 0-6, 6-1
2. Maria Biryukova (WSU) vs. Matea Cutura (PEP) 6-7 (5-7), 5-2, unfinished
3. Lize Leenknecht (WSU) vs. Ale Granillo (PEP) 6-3, 4-6, 2-4, unfinished
4. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Olga Musilovich (WSU) 7-5, 6-1
5. Yuki Chiang (PEP) def. Dajana Ognjenovic (WSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Charlotte Koning (WSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
1. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Elizaveta Luzina/Lize Leenknecht (WSU) 8-5
2. Maria Biryukova/Olga Musilovich (WSU) def. Ale Granillo/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 8-6
3. Matea Cutura/Yuki Chiang (PEP) def. Charlotte Koning/Dajana Ognjenovic (WSU) 8-2
Pepperdine 11-4; National ranking #29
Washington State 15-7; National ranking #48
Order of finish: Doubles (13,2); Singles (5,6,4,1)