Pepperdine Extends Win Streak, Tops Gonzaga 5-0
The Waves look to win match No. 9 in a row tomorrow at Portland.
April 4, 2014
SPOKANE, Wash. – Not even a bout of illness could slow down the #29 Pepperdine women’s tennis team today on the courts of the Stevens Center. The Waves won their eighth straight with a 5-0 sweep over Gonzaga.
Food poisoning plagued about half of Pepperdine’s normal lineup, and even sidelined Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai (Bangkok, Thailand/IMG Academy) for the day. Despite the setback, the ever-diligent Waves proved up to the challenge.
Yuki Chiang (Ojai, Calif./Campbell Hall HS), who was just nicely back to form after suffering from the flu two weeks ago, played alongside Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College). The #62-ranked pair made their debut at No. 1 doubles and topped Kylie Peek and Samantha Polayes, 8-4.
Prior to today, Chiang and Capannolo had played eight matches together at No. 2.
Matea Cutura (Zagreb, Croatia/Gimnazija Birotehnika/DePaul) and Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) played in the No. 2 slot and scored an 8-6 decision over Melanie Yates and Isabell Klingert to clinch the point.
Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) put away a dominant 6-1, 6-0 triumph vs. the Bulldogs’ ace Peek to lift Pepperdine to a 2-0 lead.
Chiang almost earned her second complete shut out of the week, giving up just one game in a straight-set win over Isabell Klingert. The freshman won yesterday at Washington State, 6-0, 6-0.
At No. 2, Cutura edged Katie Edwards 6-4 in the first before rolling to a 6-2 victory in set two.
Granillo snagged the Waves’ final point of the day with a straight-set win at No. 3
Cutura and Granillo were also stricken with food poisoning, but were both able to power through today.
With the dual clinched, the remaining matches were not played out to completion.
Pepperdine vs Gonzaga
Apr 04, 2014 at Spokane, WA
#29 Pepperdine 5, Gonzaga 0
1. #25 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Kylie Peek (GON) 6-1, 6-0
2. Matea Cutura (PEP) def. Katie Edwards (GON) 6-4, 6-2
3. #96 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Samantha Polayes (GON) 6-0, 6-3
4. Melanie Yates (GON) vs. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 4-6, 2-3, unfinished
5. Yuki Chiang (PEP) def. Isabell Klingert (GON) 6-0, 6-1
6. Alexandra Tallas (GON) vs. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
1. #62 Yuki Chiang/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Kylie Peek/Samantha Polayes (GON) 8-4
2. Matea Cutura/Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Melanie Yates/Isabell Klingert (GON) 8-6
3. Alexandra Tallas/Katie Edwards (GON) vs. Lorraine Guillermo/P. Salirathavibhaga (PEP) 5-7, unfinished
Pepperdine (12-4, 5-0 WCC); National ranking #29
Gonzaga (7-6, 2-2 WCC)
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,5,3,2)