Pepperdine Handles Pacific, 4-0
Free pizza will be served during Pepperdine's 11 a.m. match vs. Saint Mary's on Saturday.
April 11, 2014
MALIBU, Calif. - The #28 Pepperdine women's tennis team won dual No. 10 in a row with a 4-0 rout over Pacific on Friday afternoon. The Waves enter tomorrow's showdown with West Coast Conference preseason favorite Saint Mary's with an unblemished 7-0 league record.
Pepperdine, now 14-4 overall, only needed one win in doubles to claim the point after Yuki Chiang (Ojai, Calif./Campbell Hall HS) and Michaela Capannolo (Melbourne, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) were granted the victory after their opponents were forced to retire.
Unfortunately for the Tigers (8-11, 1-5 WCC), it was an uphill battle from the start. Iveta Masarova went down with an injury in doubles and was unable to continue alongside her partner Cristina de Buruaga. Masarova, normally Pacific's No. 1 singles player, would not return.
Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) and Apichaya Runglerdkriangkrai (Bangkok, Thailand/IMG Academy) locked up the point, storming out to a 5-0 lead over Hana Ritterova and Regina Suarez before wrapping up the victory, 8-5.
The Waves separated themselves in singles, winning the first set on all six courts.
Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo), ranked #95 in the ITA rankings, downed Gergana Boncheva 6-1, 6-1 to make it a 2-0 dual.
Guillermo and Capannolo both put the finishing touches on their straight-set victories nearly simultaneously to clinch the contest at 4-0.
Danielle Feneridis (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Girls HS), Matea Cutura (Zagreb, Croatia/Gimnazija Birotehnika/DePaul) and Chiang were all up a set when action was suspended.
Pepperdine continues the home stand tomorrow, April 12, with an 11 a.m. match vs. the #43-ranked Gaels.
Although SMC edged the Waves for top honors in the 2014 WCC Preseason Coaches' Poll, the Gaels enter Saturday's match with a 4-1 league record. It will be the first meeting between the two teams since Pepperdine, competing as the No. 2 seed, stunned top-seeded Saint Mary's 4-0 in the finals of the 2013 WCC Tournament.
Free pizza will be served to all fans.
Pacific vs Pepperdine
Apr 11, 2014 at Malibu, Calif.
(Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center)
#28 Pepperdine 4, Pacific 0
1. #27 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) def. Hana Ritterova (PAC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Matea Cutura (PEP) vs. Cristina de Buruaga (PAC) 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
3. #95 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) 6-1, 6-1
4. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Francis Dean (PAC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Yuki Chiang (PEP) vs. Christiana Ferrari (PAC) 6-3, 4-5, unfinished
6. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) vs. Regina Suarez (PAC) 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
1. Lorraine Guillermo/A.Runglerdkriangkrai (PEP) def. Hana Ritterova/Regina Suarez (PAC) 8-5
2. Yuki Chiang/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Iveta Masarova/Cristina de Buruaga (PAC) 4-2, retired
3. Matea Cutura/Ale Granillo (PEP) vs. Christiana Ferrari/Francis Dean (PAC) 6-4, unfinished
Pacific 8-11, 1-5 WCC
Pepperdine 14-4, 7-0 WCC; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,1,4)