Feneridis Comes Up Big for Pepperdine, Waves Hold off #53 San Diego, 4-3
Freshman Danielle Feneridis shows poise in three-set win to lift Pepperdine over #53 San Diego.
April 13, 2013
SAN DIEGO – Danielle Feneridis of the Pepperdine women’s tennis team grinded out a three set win to send the Waves past #53-ranked San Diego 4-3 on Saturday afternoon. The victory lifts Pepperdine to 5-1 in West Coast Conference play heading into the final week of the regular season.
The Waves, 8-11 overall, are tied with Santa Clara in the WCC at 5-1 while Saint Mary’s currently sits atop the league standings with a 6-1 record.
Pepperdine took the early momentum, winning the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2.
Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) and Michaela Capannolo (Hawthorn, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) shut out Stephanie Hoffpauir and Anna Depenau 8-0, before newly paired Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) clinched the doubles point on court one. Issara and Moore defeated #68-ranked Laura Claus and Shani Blecher, 8-4.
In singles, the Waves quickly extended their lead to 3-0. Granillo put away a 6-2, 6-0 decision versus Blecher, while Issara downed Hoffpauir 6-0, 6-4. Issara’s win streak now stands at 14 matches.
The fourth point eluded Pepperdine and the Toreros began to gain to momentum with victories at the No. 1 and No. 5 spots in the lineup.
Moore came back from a set down to force a third, but was unable to hang on for the win and USD tallied its dual-tying third point.
All eyes turned to Feneridis (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Girls HS) and Cara Brown on court six. The freshman Wave won the first set 6-3, but Brown answered in the second, 7-6.
Despite the setback, Feneridis shouldered the pressure with ease and handily won the third frame 6-1 to give Pepperdine the deciding point in the dual.
The Waves conclude the regular season next week with road duals at Loyola Marymount (April 17) and BYU (April 19). Postseason action opens the following week, April 24-27, with the 2013 West Coast Conference Tournament.
Tennis Match Results
Pepperdine vs San Diego
Apr 13, 2013 at USD
(Hogan Tennis Center)
Pepperdine 4, #53 San Diego 3
1. #103 Laura Claus (USD) def. #31 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-2, 6-3
2. #56 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) 6-0, 6-4
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Shani Blecher (USD) 6-2, 6-0
4. Marta Stojanovic (USD) def. Megan Moore (PEP) 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3
5. Anna Depenau (USD) def. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) 6-2, 7-6 (10-8)
6. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) def. Cara Brown (USD) 6-2, 6-7 (3-7), 6-1
1. Khunpak Issara/Megan Moore (PEP) def. #68 Laura Claus/Shani Blecher (USD) 8-4
2. Ale Granillo/Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Stephanie Hoffpauir/Anna Depenau (USD) 8-0
3. Cara Brown/Marta Stojanovic (USD) vs. Lorraine Guillermo/Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 5-4, unfinished
Pepperdine 8-11, 5-1
San Diego 10-10, 5-3; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,2,1,5,4,6)