#9 Women's Tennis Sweeps BYU at Home
The Waves play their final home match on Wednesday against UCLA.
MALIBU, Calif. – The #9 Pepperdine women’s tennis team swept BYU 4-0 at home on Saturday afternoon at Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center. Mayar Sherif clinched for the Waves on court three with a quick two-set victory.
The Waves (18-1, 7-0) won the doubles point and four straight singles matches to defeat the Cougars (11-8, 4-3). The team has now extended the current winning streak to 12-straight, including seven-consecutive sweeps.
- #24 Luisa Stefani, (PEP) vs. Mayci Jones (BYU) 6-1, 2-3, unfinished
- #14 Ashley Lahey, (PEP) vs. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
- # 20 Mayar Sherif, (PEP) def. Polina Malykh (BYU) 6-4, 6-0
- #101 Laura Gulbe, (PEP) def. Kate Cusick (BYU) 6-2, 6-2
- Dzina Milovanovic, (PEP) def. Madeline Almeida (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
- Adrijana Lekaj, (PEP) vs. Samantha Smith (BYU) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 3*
- #9 Mayar Sherif/Luisa Stefani (PEP) vs. Mayci Jones/Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) 5-3, unfinished
- #85 Evgeniya Levashova/Dzina Milovanovic (PEP) def. Polina Malykh/Kate Cusick (BYU) 6-3
- Adrijana Lekaj/Ashley Lahey (PEP) def. Taylah Beckman/Samantha Smith (BYU) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2
In doubles, the Waves got off to a hot start on court three, as Ashley Lahey and Adrijana Lekaj teamed up for a dominant 6-0 victory over the Cougars. The 85th-ranked pairing of Evgeniya Levashova and Dzina Milovanovic followed suit with a 6-3 victory of their own. Mayar Sherif and Luisa Stefani were leading their match 5-3 when the point was clinched.
With the momentum of the doubles point in their favor, the Waves continued to overpower the Cougars in singles. Laura Gulbe, ranked #101 in the nation, finished her match first, defeating Kate Cusick 6-2, 6-2. Milovanovic finished right after Gulbe, taking her match 6-1, 6-2 against Madeline Almeida. #20 Sherif clinched the match on court three for the second-consecutive match with a convincing 6-4, 6-0 victory over Polina Malykh. #24 Stefani won her first set 6-1, but was down 2-3 in the second when the match was clinched. #14 Lahey and Lekaj also won their first sets before the match was clinched.
- The Waves have gone 3-1 against opponents ranked in the top-12 of the Oracle/ITA rankings.
- Pepperdine has won the last 12-straight matches and has collected 11 sweeps this season, including seven sweeps in the last seven matches played.
- Laura Gulbe has won 10-straight matches, while Evgeniya Levashova and Mayar Sherif are on nine-match streaks.
- In doubles, Ashley Lahey and Adrijana Lekaj have won 10-consecutive matches.
- The No. 1 doubles position has gone 16-2 this season for the Waves in dual action, with Mayar Sherif and Luisa Stefani collecting a 12-1 record in the top-spot.
- The Waves have gone 73-13 in singles action and 37-9 in doubles play this season.
- The Waves have five ranked in the Oracle/ITA singles rankings #14 Ashley Lahey, #20 Mayar Sherif, #24 Luisa Stefani, #70 Evgeniya Levashova and #101 Laura Gulbe.
- The team has three doubles pairs ranked with Sherif and Stefani ranking #9, Sherif and Lahey ranking #38 and Milovanovic and Levashova ranking #85.
The Waves are back in action on Wednesday when they host UCLA for the final home match of the year. The match will start at 1:30 PM along with senior day festivities.
Follow @WavesTennis on Facebook and Twitter for immediate updates, results and more. Go to PepperdineWaves.com for all information, releases and schedules.