Women's Tennis Beats USD, Advances to Final
The #44 Pepperdine women's tennis team faced a tricky West Coast Conference Championships semifinal match against host San Diego, but the Waves were able to prevail 4-0 on Saturday.
The second-seeded Waves (12-12) will go for their 22nd WCC title and eighth in a row on Sunday against top-seeded Saint Mary's at 11:30 a.m. at USD's Barnes Tennis Center. Pepperdine will attempt to avenge a 4-3 home loss to the Gaels from earlier this month.
San Diego (12-12), ranked #62 and seeded #3, gave Pepperdine a tough challenge in doubles. The Toreros struck first at #3, and the Waves pulled out a win at #1. With the match's first point on the line, sophomore Ali Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian School/UCLA) and freshman Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) earned a 9-7 victory at #2.
With that out of the way, the Waves won the first three singles matches to earn their berth in the championship match. Sophomore Andrea Oates (Pretoria, South Africa) had a dominating 6-0, 6-0 win at #4. Walters claimed a point at #3 and junior Anamika Bhargava (Collierville, Tenn./Houston HS) ended the match with a victory at #2.
The Waves now have a six-match winning streak since their loss to the Gaels on April 3.
#44 Pepperdine 4, #62 San Diego 0
- 1) #77 Anamika Bhargava/Marie Zalameda (PEP) def. Juliette Coupez/Maja Sujica (USD), 8-5
- 2) Arianna Colffer/Ali Walters (PEP) def. Alexandra Demidova/Maria Raygada (USD), 9-7
- 3) Laura Claus/Justine Perl (USD) def. Andrea Oates/Tania Rice (PEP), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
- 1) #98 Arianna Colffer (PEP) vs. Juliette Coupez (USD), unfinished
- 2) Anamika Bhargava (PEP) def. Laura Claus (USD), 6-4, 6-3
- 3) Ali Walters (PEP) def. Maja Sujica (USD), 6-4, 6-2
- 4) Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Lise Marbach (USD), 6-0, 6-0
- 5) Marie Zalameda (PEP) vs. Alexandra Demidova (USD), unfinished
- 6) Tania Rice (PEP) vs. Maria Raygada (USD), unfinished
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2
Records: #44 Pepperdine 12-12, #62 San Diego 12-12