Waves Advance to WCC Tournament Title Match with 4-2 Win over Santa Clara
Freshman Michaela Capannolo comes through to clinch dual victory for Pepperdine.
April 26, 2013
SAN DIEGO – The #62 Pepperdine women’s tennis team held off a late comeback from #63 Santa Clara and won 4-2 in the semifinals of the West Coast Conference Championship. The Waves have reached the finals of the conference tournament every single season since the current dual format was established in 1995.
Pepperdine struck first, winning two of the three doubles matches to claim a 1-0 advantage heading into singles.
Khunpak Issara (Bangkok, Thailand/Bangkok Patana School) and Megan Moore (Portland, Ore./Jesuit HS) were the first off the court, putting away an 8-3 decision versus Katie Le and Jessica Agra. The Waves top duo is now a perfect 4-0 from the No. 1 spot in the lineup.
Lorraine Guillermo (Walnut, Calif./Rowland HS) and Danielle Feneridis (Auckland, New Zealand/Westlake Girls HS) clinched the doubles point and defeated Stephanie Skaras and Delphine Rouvillois on court three, 8-2.
Pepperdine rolled with the early momentum in singles, and quickly took a 3-0 lead after convincing wins courtesy of Ale Granillo (Pachuca, Mexico/Instituto Hidalgo) and Issara. Granillo downed Alex Zaniewski 6-1, 6-0, while Issara won her 16th-straight match with a 6-2, 6-0 decision versus Kelly Lamble.
The Broncos began their comeback attempt with wins from the No. 1 and No. 6 spots in the lineup.
On the remaining courts, Michaela Capannolo (Hawthorn, Australia/Genazzano FCJ College) was in a close battle with Delphine Rouvillois while Moore edged Chelby Cooke 7-6 in the second to force a third set.
Capannolo came through for Pepperdine, holding off Rouvillois 6-4, 7-6 to put point No. 4 on the board and send the Waves into the final round of the tournament.
Pepperdine has won 22 total WCC Tournament championships including 15 since the dual format took over in 1995.
The Waves vie for the title -- and with it the automatic bid into the NCAA Championship -- tomorrow at the Barnes Tennis Center. Pepperdine, the No.2 seed, and top-seeded #40 Saint Mary’s square off at 9:30 a.m. Live scores will be available through the WCC Tournament Central.
Santa Clara vs Pepperdin
Apr 26, 2013 at San Diego, Calif.
(Barnes Tennis Center)
#62 Pepperdine 4, #63 Santa Clara 2
1. #28 Katie Le (SCU) def. #34 Lorraine Guillermo (PEP) 6-4, 7-6 (11-9)
2. #72 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Megan Moore (PEP) vs. Chelby Cooke (SCU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), unfinished
5. Michaela Capannolo (PEP) def. Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) 6-4, 7-6
6. Stephanie Skaras (SCU) def. Danielle Feneridis (PEP) 6-4, 6-2
1. Khunpak Issara/Megan Moore (PEP) def. Katie Le/Jessica Agra (SCU) 8-3
2. Michaela Capannolo/Ale Granillo (PEP) vs. Kelly Lamble/Maggie McGeorge (SCU) 5-4, unfinished
3. Lorraine Guillermo/Danielle Feneridis (PEP) def. Stephanie Skaras/Delphine Rouvillois (SCU) 8-2
Santa Clara 12-10, 7-2; National ranking #63
Pepperdine 11-11, 8-1 WCC; National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (3,2,6,1,5)