Women's Tennis Falls in NCAA 1st Round to SMU
Ali Walters posted an impressive comeback win, but Pepperdine saw its season come to an end with a 4-1 loss to SMU in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday.
The #31 Mustangs improved to 24-4 with its victory at Stanford's Taube Tennis Stadium. The #43 Waves fell to 12-14.
After losing her first set 6-2 to SMU's Katerina Vankova at the #3 singles position, Walters (Newport Beach, Calif./Creekside Christian School/UCLA) stormed back to take the next two sets by scores of 6-0 and 6-1.
Unfortunately, Pepperdine was already trailing 3-0 at the time. SMU took the doubles point and claimed wins at #1 and #5 singles in straight sets, and after Walters' triumph, clinched the overall match with a victory at #6.
The final two singles matches were abandoned once the contest was decided. Freshman Arianna Colffer (Corona, Calif./Buena Vista) was locked in a close battle at #2 singles. She lost the first set in a tiebreaker and was tied 2-2 in the second set when it was called off.
Pepperdine was making its 23rd consecutive NCAA postseason appearance (14th straight not including regionals), but was knocked out in the first round for the second straight year.
#31 SMU 4, #43 Pepperdine 1
- 1) Marta Lesniak/Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) led #72 Anamika Bhargava/Marie Zalameda (PEP), 7-4, suspended
- 2) Edyta Cieplucha/Pavi Francis (SMU) def. Arianna Colffer/Ali Walters (PEP), 8-6
- 3) Shahzoda Hatamova/Katerina Vankova (SMU) def. Andrea Oates/Tania Rice (PEP), 8-1
Order of finish: 3, 2
- 1) #28 Marta Lesniak (SMU) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP), 6-4, 7-5
- 2) Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) led #100 Arianna Colffer (PEP), 7-6 (5), 2-2, suspended
- 3) Ali Walters (PEP) def. Katerina Vankova (SMU), 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
- 4) Shahzoda Hatamova (SMU) led Andrea Oates (PEP), 6-3, 5-3, suspended
- 5) Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) def. Marie Zalameda (PEP), 6-4, 6-1
- 6) Pavi Francis (SMU) def. Tania Rice (PEP), 6-2, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 5, 3, 6
Records: #43 Pepperdine 12-14, #31 SMU 24-4