Women's Tennis Records 4-3 Win Over Furman
The #17 Pepperdine women's tennis team won for the sixth time in its last seven matches with a tight 4-3 win over Furman on Friday afternoon at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
The win improved Pepperdine to 7-3 (2-0 WCC), while Furman dropped to 5-4.
The Waves remained perfect in capturing the doubles point in dual matches, as each of the three tandems claimed wins. The eighth-ranked team of Sylvia Kosakowski (Downey, Calif./Warren HS) and Bianca Dulgheru (Bucharest, Romania/Theoretical Jean Monnet HS) posted a quick 8-1 win, Tania Rice (Burlington, Ont.,Canada/Robert Bateman HS) and Anete Bandere (Tukums, Latvia/Tukuma Raina Gimnazija) also recorded an 8-1 win, and Anamika Bhargava (Collierville, Tenn./Houston HS) and Jill Braverman (Newport Beach, Calif./Corona del Mar HS) claimed a narrow 8-6 decision.
In singles, the Waves dropped their matches at the top three positions, but Braverman notched a 6-3, 6-0 win, Alex Liles (
Kosakowski, Bandere and Bhargava fell for the Waves in singles. Bhargava dropped her first match of the spring and had her 13 match winning-streak ended.
Up next, the Waves travel to
1. Sylvia Kosakowski/Bianca Dulgheru (PEP, #8) def. Laura Gioia/Natasa Manojlovic (FUR), 8-1
2. Anamika Bhargava/Jill Braverman (PEP) def. Monica Arguello/Lauren Osborne (FUR), 8-6
3. Anete Bandere/Tania Rice (PEP) def. Lauren Tomory/Jessica Preeg (FUR), 8-1
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Lauran Gioia (FUR, #53) def. Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP, #72, 6-4, 6-4
2. Monica Arguello (FUR) def. Anamika Bhargava (PEP, #34), 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. Lauren Osborne (FUR) def. Anete Bandere (PEP), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Jill Braverman (PEP) def. Jessica Preeg (FUR), 6-3, 6-0
5. Alex Liles (PEP) def. Lauren Tomory (FUR), 6-3, 6-1
6. Tania Rice (PEP) def. Natasa Manojlovic (FUR), 7-5, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 4, 1, 6, 2, 3
#17 Pepperdine 7-3