Women's Tennis Cruises Past USD, 4-0
The #18 Pepperdine women's tennis team advanced to the finals of the WCC Championships with a 4-0 sweep of San Diego on Saturday afternoon in Moraga, Calif.
The Waves (18-4) will be gunning for their sixth consecutive WCC title on Sunday afternoon, as they will face the winner of the match between Saint Mary’s and San Francisco at 3 p.m.
Pepperdine earned the doubles point for the 21st time in 22 tries this season, as the eighth-ranked tandem of Sylvia Kosakowski (Downey, Calif./Warren HS) and Bianca Dulgheru (Bucharest, Romania/Theoretical Jean Monnet HS) coasted to an 8-0 sweep and Anamika Bhargava (Collierville, Tenn./Houston HS) and Jill Braverman (Newport Beach, Calif./Corona del Mar HS) posted an 8-3 win. The duo of Tania Rice (
Kosakowski earned the first singles point for the Waves with a 6-4, 6-0 win, Dulgheru followed with a 6-0, 6-3 victory, and Bhargava clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win in the No. 2 spot. Bandere, Rice and Alex Liles (
The Waves will now await the winner of the match between the Gaels and the Dons, which was scheduled for Saturday afternoon at 3 p.m.
1. No. 8 Kosakowski/Dulgheru (PEPP) def. Wiesener/Tamorini (USD), 8-0
2. Bhargava/Braverman (PEPP) def. Lindstrand/Demidova (USD), 8-3
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. No. 87 Sylvia Kosakowski (PEPP) def. Monica Wiesener (USD), 6-4, 6-0
2. No. 86 Anamika Bhargava (PEPP) def. Helene Lindstrand (USD) , 6-2, 6-3
3. Bianca Dulgheru (PEPP) def. Carla Tamborini (USD), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2